Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Moving Faster Than Time

I have this dream.

I'm traveling, out in the sweet unknown. I dip my toes into lakes, oceans, rivers, and never stop to dive in. The water is too murky, too cold, too deep, or too uninhabited, and then time runs out. I pack my bag and go back home, the sun is going down.

Someone asks me what is was like ( they've never been there) and I tell them how it was. Beautiful. So vast, so different, something they'd have to see for themselves.

They ask me what it felt like, and I don't know. I'd only skimmed the surface.


Then they tell me what the Ocean is like in St. Tropez.

It's amazing. Red mountains on one side of you and the vast ocean at your other side. Your feet hurt from the warm shifting pebbles below (they don't have sand). You feel foolish because the locals are running and playing, as if the stones were soft granules beneath their feet, and you're just struggling to make it to the water without losing your balance. After breathing a deep breath of dry salty air, you dive into the water and float faster then you could ever imagine. The water is so dense with salt that it is an effort to swim deep beneath the surface.

If you go anywhere, go to France.
You have to feel the water there.

In hindsight I think, I should've jumped in. How could the darkness, the murkiness, the time stop me? Time was never going anywhere and yet I was pretty sure it was.Logic tells me that time never ran out because it is definably impossible.

And then I wake up. I look at my clock. I slept in. I think of all the things I need to do to catch up with yesterday and prepare for tomorrow. And I get to work, as fast as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment